Friday, November 6, 2015

Please wait...

It has been said that God answers prayer in three different ways; yes, no, and wait. The first two are a little easier for me to hear, but if I’m being honest, hearing the word wait, not so easy. We live in a world where everything moves so fast, we’re so wrapped up in ourselves, that when we have to wait on someone or something it becomes an inconvenience. Dr. Charles Stanley said it perfectly in his study The Grace to Wait, 

“Waiting on somebody or anything implies that we’re not in control.” Oh boy, how we hate to be out of control. I’m put on hold for fifteen minutes with the credit card company. I’m delayed by road construction, and now I have to sit in traffic. I have to pause the movie I’m trying to watch because my husband wants to get a snack and doesn’t want to miss anything. I’m held up at the doctor’s office because, well I don’t know why, visits to the doctor just always take forever. None of us like to wait and that’s normal, but God…

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11

Did you know the original Hebrew root of be still doesn't mean "Be quiet"? It actually means "let go”. We can worry about the details and wear ourselves out emotionally, or we can learn to let go of our plans and give them to God.

I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Psalm 27:13-14.

When God asks us to wait, it’s for a good reason. Only He can see the full picture, and His timing is perfect! He is never late. When we put our trust in the Lord, He gives us the strength we need to wait. I leave you with a few verses that have encouraged me. My prayer is that they will give you strength and peace as well.

Be still and know that I am God.
Psalm 46:10

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
Psalm 73:26
 
Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from Him.  Truly He is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
Psalm 62:1-2

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil. For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.
Psalm 37:7-9

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.
Psalm 119:114

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment